Orange Sriracha Chicken
I made these for the game today.
For years, my in-laws owned a restaurant in Castro Valley, California, serving up the Americanized Chinese dishes to customers craving deep-fried wontons, pot stickers, crispy chow mein, sweet-and-sour pork, and egg foo young. Although these Westernized creations aren’t authentically Chinese, they reflected the tastes of Americans in the 1950s and 1960s who were dipping their toes in the “exotic” flavors of Asia for the first time.
Back then, a whopping 90 percent of all Chinese immigrants in the U.S. came from a tiny area the size of Rhode Island in the southern province of Guangdong (Canton), so it’s no surprise that the flavor profiles of this new hybrid cuisine were distinctly Cantonese-American. And that’s what my in-laws offered on their menu.
But over the years, as immigration expanded to other parts of China, Americanized Chinese food began taking on more flavors from other regions of China, from Fujian to Sichuan. Westernized Chinese cuisine began rapidly evolving.
Orange chicken—battered and fried chicken pieces slathered in a thick glaze of sweet orange-chili sauce—is one of the Chinese-American dishes that surged in popularity during this period. Hunan in origin, orange chicken started popping up in Chinese restaurants across America over the past few decades.
Sadly, as this dish made its way to fast food Chinese joints, the recipes got sloppier and sloppier. The gloopy version you’ll find at the mall food court these days is often grosser than gross; it’s coated in soggy clumps of batter and drowning in overly sweet, artificially colored sauce. This incarnation of orange chicken isn’t even remotely close to real-food-friendly.
Wanna try my recipe for Orange Sriracha Chicken instead?
166 Notes/ Hide
- fauxsheik reblogged this from nomnompaleo
- transathleticism likes this
- melmariejones likes this
- debdbaker reblogged this from nomnompaleo
- debdbaker likes this
- oh-the-fandomonium likes this
- paperfrogs likes this
- erikschwartz reblogged this from nomnompaleo and added:
- curlyfool likes this
- approachingchaos reblogged this from nomnompaleo
- approachingchaos likes this
- thepaleoprince reblogged this from nomnompaleo
- electricfeeelnow likes this
- jellysoap likes this
- i-am-tooth-decay likes this
- -elysianfields likes this
- stephaniehavlik reblogged this from nomnompaleo and added:
- oddpark likes this
- zone-ish reblogged this from cynthiaunderground and added:
- cynthiaunderground reblogged this from nomnompaleo
- focus614 likes this
- tthovtrup likes this
- lizzynew likes this
- strikingintellect likes this
- batbillion likes this
- kellycrabs reblogged this from nomnompaleo
- frstinline likes this
- lushingken reblogged this from nomnompaleo
- myotherblacknotebook reblogged this from nomnompaleo
- kimmykun reblogged this from mynameisbloo
- mynameisbloo reblogged this from puckling
- spillthesunshine reblogged this from puckling
- fat-babe-life likes this
- amyjk likes this
- laughsassins reblogged this from nomnompaleo
- obsoletemachines likes this
- agentpantybunches reblogged this from puckling
- wordydoodles likes this
- introspectivenavelgazer reblogged this from tygermama
- pattkennard likes this
- ask-me-how likes this
- thedownsideofbeinghuman likes this
- lastreview reblogged this from fat-to-workout-mat
- sarahdanee likes this
- keep-fighting-for-yourself likes this
- gimmemore21 likes this
- stuffsheknows reblogged this from fat-to-workout-mat
- carolinekoxox likes this
- gracefree likes this